...

Help me! i'm languishing in all this supposed knowledge!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My top 8 favourite masterpieces

I classify a masterpiece by this:

  • no matter how old it is it will not feel dated (or will feel only slightly dated)
  • every aspect of the film is great
  • it hasn't lost significance
  • You can derive more enjoyment each time you see it
  • Unforgettable
Now keep in mind that these are just my favourite masterpieces, there are far more great movies out there, but these are my favourites that are considered 'masterpieces'. I'll try to rank them as best i can.

8. Toy Story 3 (2010)
a beautiful film. i never, ever was so close to crying in a 'children's' movie. Me and one of my friends went to see it because the guy would'nt let us in to see Predators so we went in sort of disappointed from the start. but within the 1st 5 minutes i was in a far better mood and loved the whole film. it was funny, heartwarming and extremly memorable. Some people might say that Toy Story should be on here more than TS3, but i disagree, it is rare for a third installment to live up to it's predecessor, let alone better it. Even The Godfather couldn't do that.

7. Singin In The Rain (1952)
It's hilarious. What more can i say? how about... great script, cool dances, catchy songs, one of the best dumb blondes ever (Lina Lumont, played by Jean Hagen) and, of course, we get to see Gene Kelly splash around in puddles and wreck that nice suit.

6. The Wizard Of oz (1939)
I was unsure of whether or not to put this on here. But it fits my criteria and i really love the movie. I am not going to lie to you though: When i was little Margaret Hamilton scared me half to death. This childhood memory stopped from watching it for years, until i finally perked up the courage to look at it again a few years ago. And now it is one of my favourites. From the naive joy of Dorothy (Judy garland) and her pals Tin Man (Jack Haley), Scarecrow (Ray Bolger) and Lion (Bert Lahr) all the way to The Witch (Hamilton), this movie keeps it's comedy and thrill even after 72 years. And expect it to do so for many more.

5. Titanic (1997)
I was bored by Titanic. I wont lie. But I respect it's contribution to cinema and it really is a great film. When i hear 'My heart will go on' (sung by Celine Dion) there are chills. It's is visually stunning and after watching it a second time i was still bored, but i liked it. I know that that sounds strange but i really did. It was a beautiful film. Even if Avatar is the new highest grossing film, I'll take Titanic over it any day.

4. Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
I love this movie. I grew up watching it, in fact, besides Peter Pan, this may be one of my first movies. The effects are amazing- even by todays standards. What astounds me is that the technology was vastly different in the 70s, and yet, George Lucas still made a better sci-fi film than anyone ever could. Except maybe Stanley Kubrick, but even though 2001: a space odyssey was pretty cool and a marvel, some how i never liked it as much as Star Wars.



3. Psycho (1960)
I couldn't decide whether to put Vertigo or Psycho on here. I knew that there had to be a Hitchcock film, but which one? Finally i decided on Psycho because of that unforgettable scene at the end, where we see Norman for the final time, with his mothers voice talking to us. It was a great ending to an even greater film. The shower scene, while tame by todays standards is still great to watch, it looks fake NOW, but in 1960 that scared every single person in any given theatre. I mostly like it for the music though. Especially in the shower scene, the music that frightens you so much more than the scene. Amazing experience.


2. Gone With the Wind (1939)
I did a lengthy review on this not too long ago, but it's probably on the 'older post' page. I loved it. Every aspect was superb and i would watch it again right now if i could. From the fantastic acting all the way down to the costumes (which i usually don't notice at all) this movie is a feast for the eyes, the ears and the mind. The definition of a masterpiece.





1. West Side Story (1961)
It's got everything. Everything! a classic plot, great score, brilliant dancing, great acting and it is visually bewildering. I will admit that i like this is largely because i am a huge Natalie Wood fan and plus i really love Tony (Richard Beymer) because he is really just incredibly romantic. I will also admit that i missed a lot of great films, but i can't really consider them my favourites.



I missed City lights, which was a really good movie and Charlie Chaplin Masterpiece. I also missed Return of the jedi, but that doesn't really matter. Then theres The Godfather (1972), which- while i think it's a great movie- i haven't seen it twice so therefore don'y know if it was great the second time. Citizen kane just about put me to sleep but i can appreciate Orson Welles revolutionary technique. Those are just to name a few. Oh and Ben hur, which i couldn't really get into. Maybe i just don't like swords and sandals things (explaining to absence of Lawrence of Arabia, which was actually good but i didn't like it as much as these).

Well that's my list. Disagree if you must but thats just my opinion. I would be delighted if you told me your's in the comments.

"The force is what gives a Jedi his power, it's an energy field created by all living things, it surrounds us and penetrates us and binds the galaxy together" Obi Wan Kenobi (Alec Guiness) Star Wars: A new hope.

4 comments:

  1. I love this post!

    I shed more than a few tears in Toy Story 3. I think it may have even been better than the original - and the original was really great.

    I only saw Singin In The Rain for the first time this year, but once I watched it I wondered how I never saw it earlier!!!

    I agree with each movie on your list - I haven't seen Star Wars or Phsyco (yet) but I know they are highly recommended by many film buffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked Lawrence of Arabia as it is my favourite. For Hitchcock I would put Vertigo just ahead of Psycho - I really liked the two leads, Stewart and Novak.
    B.J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right, Gone With the Wind is the definition of a masterpiece, flawless in every single way. The greatest film ever. Great list, Psycho, Star Wars, Toy Story 3 and Titanic are also fantastic. I'm not really a fan of The Wizard of Oz and even though I liked Singin' in the Rain it's not my favorite film. I need to see West Side Story soon.

    One question: Have you seen Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca (1940)? If not, you definitely should, it's better than Psycho and Vertigo put together, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen it but(hopefully) will soon.

    ReplyDelete