...

Help me! i'm languishing in all this supposed knowledge!

Monday, December 8, 2014

My Top Five Favourite Dollhouse Episodes

So, I like Joss Whedon. I think it's fairly obvious at this point. The earliest I was exposed to his work was most likely the first Toy Story, and then he and I didn't cross paths again until I saw a couple of episodes of Dollhouse back in 2009 (i don't count my dabbling in Buffy one bored holiday break as a thing anymore, especially since i stopped right before shit got real.) I liked it for the most part but I lost track of it and I simply didn't bother seeking it out. Then i saw The Avengers, Cabin In The Woods and Firefly (though granted, not in quick succession) and I stopped dead in my tracks. Firefly was a defining moment in my television obsessed 'hobby', a hobby that had already caused me to examine, re-examine and question aspects of the world. I saw Buffy and Angel not long after that and again I found myself emotionally enthralled in another universe filled with characters i adored.

Much of the effect of Whedon's work lies in how he handles real situations and emotions in outlandish settings. The way he addresses issues like identity, loneliness, abuse, corruption, sexuality, friendship, family and heartbreak within the parameters of fantasy and science fiction using characters that you will be invested in startles me. Every single thing I just mentioned has been present in his television shows and it is a rare gift to be able to talk about a few, let alone all of them, in a manner that doesn't seem a little condescending or schmaltzy in some way. Perhaps this is why I fell so completely in love with Dollhouse. Do I think it's the best Whedon show? Hard to tell, but I do think it deserves to be talked about, analyzed and discussed in the same way that his other shows so often are. Perhaps even more so in some respects.

5. Briar Rose (Season 1, Episode 11)
I've given up trying to predict Jane Espenson. The woman has written episodes that made me laugh my ass off and ones that smashed my heart into pieces. I have given up. Briar Rose had me on the edge of my seat for it's whole run time. Alan Tudyk managed to wipe Wash from my memory in a single scene and I will forever love this mans acting. This was tense, this was exciting this, was the episode that sat me down, looked me right in the eye and said: 'we are not going back. Dollhouse is going to stay this good for a long time and you'd better be prepared.'

4. The Attic (Season 2, Episode 10)
The Attic is one of the most insane hours of television I've had the pleasure of witnessing. It sets the final few episodes up brilliantly, leaves room for some nicely screwed up ideas and shocked me with it's innate ambition. It's not like any Whedon show has ever lacked for ambition really, but what impresses me about Dollhouse is that it took an already ambitious concept and didn't stop there, it kept going and even proved that it didn't always have to take place in the present or even the real world to be intriguing and suspenseful.

3. The Left Hand (Season 2, Episode 6)
I was only vaguely aware that Summer Glau was in this show and I did an internal happy dance when she appeared. And if it weren't for the slight sociopathic tendencies Bennet would be adorable (okay, she still is).  Look, her and Topher guys... I can get behind that (except for that whole... well you know what i'm talking about.) Also: Alexis Denisof was on this show, I had no idea, despite knowing he is American I can still never get used to his natural accent.

2. Man On The Street (Season 1, Episode 6)
There are some episodes that I would explicitly point to in a show where I can say with confidence that this is where the show becomes truly great. With Buffy I can point to Innocence, with Angel I can point to Five By Five, Fringe I can say There Is More Than One Of Everything. For Dollhouse it is Man on the Street. I don't believe you need to look any further for an episode that can introduce this show to a new viewer. Both plots work well, but I have to applaud the slightly understated (and all the more disturbing because of it) B plot involving Sierra. Good lord I think my stomach literally churned when I found out where it was going. Riveting stuff (and Patton Oswalt you guys!!)

1. Epitaph One (Season 1, Episode 13)
Remember when i said Man On The Street is when the show gets great? Remember when I said Briar Rose is when the show looks you dead in the eye and tells you to strap in? Well Epitaph One tells you you don't know anything. That you had the show pegged all wrong - that you were about to have your mind nuked. And your emotions, don't forget those. In one episode the scope for the show expanded vastly and it never paused for thought afterwards.

Dollhouse is a show that will never have the following Buffy, Angel or Firefly does. I don't quite understand why, but I am confident in that statement.  Of course that doesn't mean it's not worthy of your time. In fact I'd argue that if you want some of the most thought provoking sci fi that isn't the ones people usually suggest then go for this one, I don't think you will be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment