...

Help me! i'm languishing in all this supposed knowledge!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Win a Date With Tad Hamilton! (2004)


I’ve seen this on TV twice now and as much as I dislike ‘chick flicks’ this is one that I really seem to enjoy. Stars Kate Bosworth. Topher Grace and Josh Duhamel acquit themselves amiably and are all well cast, and that’s coming from someone who isn’t even big fan of any of these particular actors.

This movie is hardly looking to reinvent the wheel, it’s formulaic and often pretty cheesy, but the sheer enthusiasm it has guides it through. In a lot of ways Win a Date... reminds me of those 60s comedies, you know the ones, like Pillow Talk, Gidget, Bye Bye Birdie and the Beach movies. It’s not looking to be progressive, it just wants to entertain you. Whether it does or not depends mainly on your taste and whether or not you like the type of films I just mentioned.

I’m going to do a total 180 on my previous review (which was Superman Returns) and say that Kate Bosworth is perfectly cast as Rosalee Futch, the small town innocent who wins the date with movie star Tad Hamilton (Duhamel). Bosworth has a great energy and likeability and she displays it effortlessly here. I recall that she played Sandra Dee in the Kevin Spacey directed/starring Beyond The Sea. I think she plays Sandra Dee roles better than she plays Dee herself. But that’s an unfair comparison since Beyond the Sea wasn’t exactly a masterpiece anyway.

Topher Grace, best known as Eric in That 70s Show and for being a terrible Venom in Spiderman 3 (you’re damn right I’m still bitter about that), is also a nice presence - although he lacks some charisma and seems like he’s just playing Eric most of the time. I have a feeling that that is his default setting. Still, I wont protest too loudly on that since I enjoyed That 70s Show and his part in it, even if I wouldn’t call him the best actor to come out of it - that was Mila Kunis, who is just awesome.

Now for Duhamel: unlike the other two members of the main cast I have never seen Duhamel in a movie where he outright impressed me, generally he’s in charmless rom-coms such as Life as We know it and When In Rome. But he sells Tad’s persona well and I could totally understand why Rosalee would be attracted to him. I don’t expect to change my overall opinion on him anytime soon, but I did enjoy his performance here.Supporting performances are all unique and fun, Nathan Lane and Sean Hayes are a good pair, although I will say that they could get a ‘Tad’ (sorry but it was right there) irritating. Ginnifer Goodwin is not an actress I particularly follow and I haven’t seen a lot of her work – no, not even Once Upon A Time – but she’s a good addition as Rosalee’s friend Cathy. The ever-reliable Amy Smart also features in little more than a cameo as a nurse in one of Tad’s movies. Oh and here is my personal favourite: Gary Cole as Rosalee’s father. I just love Gary Cole in general, but he really is very funny here.

As I said before, the film isn’t interested in trying anything new but it’s the likeability of all involved that give it that much needed push to being above average. Maybe it’s the way Grace yell’s “guard your carnal treasure!” at Rosalee as she leaves to go on her date, Duhamel’s laid back demeanour or that sunny disposition and smile of Bosworth’s that gives the movie such a great sense of fun. Whatever it is I plan on watching it again when it comes on television, it’s light-hearted, cute and you could do a lot worse on a Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment